• 30mins -1 hour dough preparation (depends
on dough cycle selected)
• 35-45 minutes cooking
• 1 1/4 cups water
• 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
• 1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
• 3 cups bread flour
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon powdered milk
• 1 teaspoon olive oil (no bread machine)
• 3/4 cup sliced Italian sausage
• 3/4 cup pizza sauce
• 1 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
• 2 tablespoons butter
1. Stir the above ingredients together in a large bowl and knead the mixture 20 times.
2. Shape the dough into a smooth ball and place it back in the bowl.
3. Brush it lightly with olive oil, cover and allow to rise for 1 hour.
Meanwhile, brown sausage for about 8 to 10 minutes in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain excess fat and reserve.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
5. Shape dough into a 16 inch by 10 inch rectangle. Transfer to a lightly greased cookie sheet, and
spoon pizza sauce lengthwise down the center of the dough, followed by the browned sausage
and the cheese.
6. Folding the dough:
Option 1 – Diagonal Braiding: Make diagonal cuts 1 1/2 inches apart down each long side of the
dough rectangle, cutting to within 1/2 inch of the filling. Criss-cross cut strips of dough over the
filling to form a braid and seal edges with water.
Option 2 – Pinch the two ends together to form the seal.
Option 3 – Roll the two ends together to form the seal.
7. Brush top of calzone with melted butter.
8. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from
oven and cool for 5 minutes, then slice and serve.
1. Place water, yeast, sugar, flour, salt and